Fwends! ♥

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Lemon Polenta Cake

So I finally had a chance to bake again! I haven't had time to bake since...Thanksgiving. Inconceivable huh?!

My dad's coworker made this Lemon Polenta Cake and brought it to work during the holidays last year. My dad was obsessed with it and pretty much hounded me to make it for him everyday lol. I guess whining runs in the family!

This Lemon Polenta Cake recipe is by the famous Nigella Lawson, who makes everything she does seem oddly sexual hahahaha.
The recipe is on the Food Network site.
This is a super quick and easy cake, if you are able to find the ingredients.

Ingredients
For Cake:
1 3/4 sticks (14 tablespoons) soft unsalted butter
1 cup superfine sugar
2 cups almond meal/flour  Almond meal can be hard to find. You can just grind up blanched slivered almonds in your food processor as an alternative. 
3/4 cup fine polenta/cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3 eggs
Zest 2 lemons (save the juice for the syrup)  
For Syrup:
Juice from the 2 lemons
Heaping 1 cup confectioners' sugar 
Ok, important thing for me to point out...I didn't know what polenta actually looked like so I super failed & accidentally bought the precooked polenta at Trader Joe's. It's already seasoned & salted so I decided not to use it since it might ruin the cake.
I ended up just substituting with an extra 3/4 cup of almond meal. It still turned out ok!


Cut parchment paper to fit at the bottom of a 9 inch springform pan.


Spray sides of pan with non-stick spray or use butter.


Cream the room temperature butter and sugar together in a large bowl.


In a separate bowl, combine the almond meal, baking powder, & polenta (if using).
Then add about 1/3 of the dry ingredients into the butter and mix.
When it is well mixed, add in 1 egg.
Continue to alternate dry ingredients and eggs, beating till well combined.


Zest the 2 lemons and add into batter.


Pour the batter into the pan. Spread evenly (duh).


Preheat the oven to 350F.
Bake cake for about 40 minutes.
Test the cake with a toothpick and if it doesn't come out clean, continue to bake for about 5-10 more minutes.


After the cake is baked, leave it in the pan to cool.
Now, time to make the syrup!

Juice the 2 lemons you just zested, remember to strain it to get rid of seeds & pulp.
Add the juice and 1 cup of powdered sugar into a small pot.


Turn stove to medium heat and heat up the syrup just until the sugar is completely dissolved.
Remember to whisk! Or it'll burn.


Poke holes over the top of the cake with a toothpick.
Pour the warm syrup (all of it) onto the cake.


Let the syrup soak into the cake and allow it to cool.
I let it sit overnight.


It looks kinda ugly but it tastes really refreshing and lemony. Just like lemon curd!
The texture is meant to be kinda soft & sticky. This doesn't mean it's undercooked.
Nigella didn't let me down! I would like to try it with polenta next time to see if it makes a difference in texture.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yayyyyy! The whole video got released today!! 
His new album is really good. Somebody Else is probably my favorite song on the album *_*
This is how you do legit kpop, not that annoying teeny bopper crap that's out these days. This is a very obvious sign that I'm getting old T___T


♥♥♥

25 comments:

  1. Yummy food. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'd definitely try this myself.

    I hope you drop by my blog. :-)

    Much love from Mystic Nymph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Lemon Polenta Cake! An Italian classic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HUNGERZ....lol. Hoping to try this recipe too one day!

    And yayyy~ SE7EN! Hope the YG fam con in LA is LEGIT!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so yummy! Don't know if I can find the ingredients here though. Actually, it should be available, but just a matter of where. I'd rather have you bake it for me. Hehe!

    *Kat*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you know what is funny about this post? I watched Nigella yesterday and she made this EXACT same cake and I was thinking to myself I have to make this coz it looks so yummy!!! What a coincidence that you post it up today!! :)

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. yummy~~ aww I wish I can bake a cake too ;_;

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to try baking sth different other than the usual cupcakes and...butter cake lol. This looks awesome,gonna try looking for the ingredients.

    I'm listening to the song now ^-^ woohoo . The song is quite good,the type that I like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok I really don't like Nigella, and the recipe of hers that I tried was a complete and utter disappointment - can't rememeber what it was, but from then on decided to just completely distrust her.

    It's not 'oddly' sexual, it is sexual on purpose to push her image as a yummy mummy for middle-aged men to watch.

    Glad your cake turned out well even though you bought the wrong polenta! Might try it anyway since you reposted this and you are my twitter fweeeend despite how much I don't trust Nigella. xD H

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks so good *__* I've never tried it

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore lemon flavored cakes so this is getting saved. Thanks for sharing!

    I just hate how the K-pop landscape has been littered with that annoying teeny bopper crap these days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Despite Nigella's gasps of ecstasy eating product of her labor, I find her recipes work. They're usually easy and require little technical know how. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't know all these Asian singers. One HK actor gave up telling me his name/movies etc because I just have no idea who he is nor anyone else he mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can just imagine the taste in my mouth with your cake!!


    I heard se7en' new song earlier today - love it and I'm so glad he's doing RnB stuff again!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to look up what polenta was exactly. Turns out that it's basically maize meal.
    I never know what exactly the products Nigella uses are. It's never just "tomatoes" with her, it's "sunblush vine ripen tomatoes". So klassy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooo this looks so good!! I want to try and make this, thankies for the recipe :)

    btw what will you do with the pre-cooked polenta?? XD

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to try it! Nigela's food is always so tasty! :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. have i told you i have great respect for people who bake? (and greater respect who can take pictures while they are doing it!) :)
    sounds very refreshing for afternoon snack with tea. yummmm

    ReplyDelete
  17. Damn i need to start cooking and/or baking soon. It actuslly looks pretty nice :3 ive never had Polenta cake before but it sounds nice ^____^

    Se7en <33333 feels like forever till tey released this XD so impatient >__<

    ReplyDelete
  18. HAHA! It doesn't look ugly. Looks really good. And I know it tastes good! Good for you in getting back to baking. You've been traveling, so it takes awhile to regroup. Thank you for always sharing your recipes.
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. mmmmm looks delish! and polenta is really yummy! Just gotta get the right kind:)

    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  20. YUM! This cake looks good, I know you think otherwise, but I think it looks delicious. I love anything lemon flavored so I'd try this out, just not sure how to work with polenta. My dream job as a kid was to be an international flight attendant :) When we used to go to Taiwan in the 1980s, we'd fly northwest airlines. The head flight attendant would always wear a kimono at the very end of the flight, and I wanted to be like her hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yummm! I love lemon flavored cakes/pastries.

    Ohhh, you got me addicted to Se7en's When I can't Sing. I love the piano part with JYP. <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow looks good!! :) By the way I nominated you for the versatile blogger award! http://daphyin-makeupisart.blogspot.com/2012/02/special-thursday-thank-you.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks for the recipe and you ought to open a patisserie.

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOL, it still sounds good. I didn't know there were different kinds of polenta either.

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  25. Interesting! I love polenta but I've never had it with a sweet dish before. I'm going to have to put this on my to-try list!

    ReplyDelete

Link

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...