Fwends! ♥

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Thanksgiving Baking: Sweet Potatuh Pie Cookies :D

In the spirit of Thanksgiving, I decided to make Sweet Potato Pie Cookies. I got the recipe off of Food Network. Sweet Potato Pie is typically eaten in the south. It's one of my favorite pies even though I'm not from the south lol.

Recipe: 

Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) salted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 egg, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup sweet potato puree
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
Orange Glaze:
  • 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and adjust racks to the middle position. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, and salt.

Using a hand held mixer cream together the butter, granulated sugar and the brown sugar until light and fluffy and the volume has increased. Add the egg and the vanilla and mix until incorporated. Stir in the sweet potato puree and blend until smooth. Beat in the dry ingredients in increments and combine well. Stir in the pecans.
Drop by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared cookie sheets, leaving about 2 inches of space between each cookie. Bake until the cookies are lightly golden around the edges and they spring back from the touch, about 18 minutes. Let cool completely on the cookie sheets before glazing.
For the glaze:
Combine the confectioners' sugar, orange juice, and vanilla in a small bowl and stir until smooth. Drizzle over the cookies and let harden for 1 hour before serving.

Cook's Note: If you need to thin the glaze, add more orange juice. If you need to thicken it, add more confectioners' sugar.

The recipe is very straightforward but requires quite a bit of spices.
I just boiled some sweet potatoes in water until soft then mashed them with a fork. I couldn't find canned sweet potato puree at the store.

Ready for the oven!


Fresh out of the oven!



All the kids together for a group shot ^o^


These have a very cake-like texture. Taste like Thanksgiving in your mouth!!
They will hold up well at room temp for about 4-5 days if kept in an airtight container.


It was already really late at night so I was too lazy to make the glaze. They still taste great w/o the glaze though!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I have to end each post with a video or Jian will yell at me heheheeee 
I hereby dedicate all future video postings to her!! 

This song is a bit too cheerful for me but it reminds me of a Christmas song for some reason LOL
It's been unwillingly stuck in my head for the last few days >.<
Doesn't it look like theres 5 Asian Beyonces running around doing the Single Ladies dance? hahahhaa!


♥♥♥

29 comments:

  1. mmmmm looks good!! I Want to try this out ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have never been one for sweet potatoes but i am an avid cookie eater! if your cookies taste as good as they look like they do then i might just have to try them!!
    thanks for the recipe!

    glitteringly and positively,
    raeshelle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg this is great; i actually really wanna make some of these (generally i just like looking at pictures of food ahaha :p) thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've never had sweet potato cookies before, i love sweet potato!

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww that looks yummy! why you pretty hot ladies know how to bake! hahaha.. i must practice my baking skills too, sure i'll be trying this recipe! hahaah thanks hun for sharing! mmuaah! love yah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg yummeh!!! hahah your signature of a blog post is to end it with a video! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOOKS SO GOOD *_____* -drool-

    ReplyDelete
  8. This recipe looks yum with all the warm spices in. Thanks for sharing. When is Thanksgiving? Is it only celebrated in the US?

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cookies look so delicious and I've not had dinner nor breakfast! And yes I agree, there are 5 asian beyonces that popped up on my screen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want it, thanks for the recipe but I can't make cookies T__T

    and I love wonder girls so much, finally come back, I was so happy~~ :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. These sound divine. Absolute treats of a highest tastiest order!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oo they look so yummy~~~~~ <3

    hope one day i can learn to cook n bake better haha

    xoxo HitomiNeko xoxo
    http://hitomineko-hn.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, omg!! That looks soo good! You're making me hungry again loll doro!Potato pie cookies is something I've never tried but I love potatoes soo wanna try this too xD

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks like a yummy recipe. It is on my todo list for future baking :) Thx for sharing :)

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've had sweet potato pie before but never cookies, looks delicious.

    xo erica

    ReplyDelete
  16. sweet potato pie cookies?!!?!? i've never even heard of such a thing but they sound amazing!!! i'm gonna have to try this recipe one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. :O!! Only to Jian??!! what about meeeeee??!! I demand more 90s videos!!
    I demand Venga Boys in your next post!
    I baked a sweet potato pie one thanksgiving. It has walnuts (pecans) on top. It was yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I totally squealed when I saw the tittle of this post. I <33333 anything with sweet potatoes. The reason I look forward to Thanksgiving is sweet potato pie~ Will most def. try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. they look fantastic!!!! drizzle some melted chocolate on top, and they will be perfect!
    ♥ laura
    the blog of worldly delights

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm a southern girl! Sweet potato rocks. Never had the cookies before, but they look good. Have a great evening girl. :D
    http://sassyuptownchic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't heard of this treat before, but it sure looks yummylicious!

    What if I don't have ground allspice and pecans. Can I still proceed?

    ReplyDelete
  22. These look yummy. I would love some warm cookies to eat right now.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yeah I definitely get a "Single Ladies" vibe from the vid! Really cool XD Haha...I'm not from the South either and love sweet potato pie. These cookies look so delish! You're such an awesome cook and baker =D

    ReplyDelete
  24. These cookies look amazing! Definitely going to try them!

    http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for sharing ^_^ looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  26. I want to try to make these, I love sweet potatoes anything!

    ReplyDelete
  27. ohhh its like sweet potato pie on the go lol

    oh dear... i hope this song doesn't get stuck in my head 0.o but yes very christmasy... so upbeat...

    ReplyDelete

Link

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...