Fwends! ♥

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Tartine Bakery

My friend and I finally had a chance to pay Tartine a visit. It's an amaaaazing bakery in San Francisco, CA. Pretty much everyone in SF & their mom knows about Tartine lol! There's over 3000 Yelp reviews on this place. I don't usually trust Yelp reviews, but this place is seriously da bomb yo!

There is always a long line to order at this place, so it just comes down to how long of a line it'll be when you go. We went around 1pm on a Friday, when the lunch crowd was starting to clear out. On weekends, the line wraps around the block, cray cray!!


Tartine is located in the Mission district of SF and the store is on a corner. But there's no sign outside, you just have to know where it is. Despite how discrete it is, locals and tourists all know it's there!

All their breads and pastries are made fresh with local and organic produce & ingredients. Their prices are a tad on the high side, but that's expected (ecn 101 supply & demand! LOL).

My friend and I both ordered the Croque Monsieur ($9.75) which is an
Open face sandwich with béchamel, gruyere, thyme and pepper. Topped with either smoked Niman Ranch ham or seasonal vegetable.
I'm drooling just from reading that description ^o^,,,
I got the ham one and it was sooo good! It doesn't look too big, but don't be deceived! It's rather filling. And I also really like the pickled baby carrots they served on the side. It helps cut the richness from the cheese.
I loved how the ham and cheese were toasted till they were crispy & slightly burnt. YUM YUM YUM!!


Yeah, that sandwich was filling...but it obviously didn't stop me from ordering dessert too hehehe
How can you possibly pass that up when coming to Tartine?!

I got the Lemon Cream Tart ($6.25)
Sweet pastry shell filled with rich lemon cream, topped with unsweetened cream.
I'm glad I ordered something tart and lemony, especially after a rich croque monsieur. The cream in this tart is sooo creamy & smooth. The lemon flavor is very strong and rather tart, so if you're not into such sourness I'd order something else. I love fruity tart things so this was perfectoooo! XD

My friend made me eat the flower petal & I freaked lol it was a weird texture. Yeah...not into eating flowers. I know that for sure now!


My friend ordered the Tres Leches Cake, which was much richer and filling than my tart. This was the best tres leches cake I've ever tried. Most are usually soggy and overly sugary from the condense milk. This one is light and fragrant, not sickeningly sweet at all.


Despite how stuffed she was from her sandwich and cake, my friend was wise enough to order a Latte as well. They served this in a huge bowl & it was pretty much like drinking a bowl of milky soup. She was dying from how full she was LOL


So the lesson learned here is...don't be greedy and order everything here! You'll leave feeling like you just had Thanksgiving dinner >.<

It can be really difficult to find seating here, even though there is a decent amount of tables and chairs. You gotta be swift and stalk a group that looks as if they're about to leave, then attack! LOL
Luckily I didn't have to fight anyone for a table. We got lucky and found a table right after ordering.
I'd really suggest going at a random time on a random day of the week if you can.

I definitely to go back and try all their other sandwiches. They offer so many interesting options! And I definitely want to try the Banana Cream Tart next time, it seems to be one of their most popular items. Can't wait!!

♥♥♥

14 comments:

  1. OH Tartine! I always wanted to go there. The sandwich looks amazing and I loooove gruyere. The ham sounds nice too. I am obsessed with Tres Leches Cake too, my favorite. Thanks for the review. I need to head over since I'm just in the East Bay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGH SO JEALOUS!!! how i miss tartine! the open faced sammies are SOOOO good and that tres leches looks crazy delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want that slightly burnt ham and cheese. looks soooo yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that looks soo good!!! :) the cake :D!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this place! Thanks for the pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the food looks so yummy ^^ are those sugar drops on the side of the latte? XD

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heavenly delicious looking stuff!!! Boy, is it good or bad that there is no place like this by my house. I will keep this place in mind if I go toSF.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The food looks so delicious!! I could really use a latte right now~ & I've never had tres leches cake before but it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow this looks yummy. I will have to remember to check it out when I head to SF this fall!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG everything looks so good!!! i'm salivating reading all your descriptions =p lol

    hehe i'd probably be greedy like your friend and over- eat =p

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice food pictures! yummm. haah I've eaten a petal before.. I'm not too big on the texture of them lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. The desserts look yummeh! lol your friend made you eat that petal? Hahaha it's funny because we once dared a friend to eat a whole flower (the ones they put on the side of a dish for deco) and he did!! Must have been terribly unpleasant.

    Btw, you're into Hello Kitty, right? Are you getting anything from the Swarovski collection?

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG, these look AMAZING :(. Too bad I live in Canada lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonjour!
    What a lovely blog. All these pics of your food and desserts look AMAZING!
    Come stop by our blog and our shop sometime :)
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/chezjolly

    Have a wonderful day!

    Jessica & Holly

    ReplyDelete

Link

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...